Activities & Games
PEAK is a tremendous program! Our volunteer team used it to present environmental awareness to a group of Cub Scouts. The activities were entirely appropriate and could be presented by volunteers with very little preparation or prior knowledge [of Leave No Trace].
What is a PEAK Pack?
The PEAK Pack includes six fun activities designed to teach kids about Leave No Trace. Four additional activities are provided separately.
PEAK features colorful illustrated characters representing various pieces of outdoor gear that can help kids learn to Leave No Trace.
PEAK is ideal for the elementary school age group. Each activity or “module” can be delivered in 30–60 minutes depending on group size, available time, etc. The modules come in durable plastic folders and all six conveniently fit into an expanding folder (the Pack) that can be used in the field or in a classroom setting.
Each module contains instructions on how to facilitate the activity as well as supporting materials. Also included in the PEAK Pack is a Start Card and an instructional video, which offer many helpful teaching tips and an overview of the Leave No Trace program.
PEAK Pack Activities: Volume One
The PEAK Pack Volume One includes the following activities:
- Discovering the Leave No Trace Principles – An introduction to the principles through demonstration of preparing for an outdoor trip; works great as a skit.
- How Long Does it Last? – Find how long it really takes for common trash/recyclable to break down in nature and why it’s important to Trash our Trash.
- Watch Your Step – There are living organisms everything. Explore your world from an ant’s level and find out why it’s important to stick to trails.
- Leave No Trace Draw – Many Leave No Trace decisions can be made along the trail. A version of a relay race, participants will decide whether they advance on the trail by answering Leave No Trace related questions.
- Step on It! – Why is it important to stick to trails? How do we know how to do this? Compete with your team to answer questions and learn how to Choose the Right Path when outdoors.
- What Principle Am I? – Test your knowledge of the Leave No Trace principles by listening to clues and deciding What Principle Am I?
Volume One Additional Activities
Four additional activities have been added to the program and may be purchased separately:
- Leave No Trace Crime Scene – Have your youth become CSI investigators as they stumble upon a campsite leave no trace “crime scene.”
- Minimum Impact Match – Find out what different gear items will help you Leave No Trace when you are outdoors. Ask Yes/No questions to find out what gear you represent, then find your match!
- Treks and Track’s Great Adventure – Meet all the PEAK characters and the principles they represent as Trek and Track (a pair of boots) head out on an outdoor adventure.
- Leave No Trace Relay – Set up a Leave No Trace obstacle course for your students, with stops and activities representing each Leave No Trace principle.