News & Updates
Go Canoeing, Leave No Trace
Durham, NC: Whenever friends get together outside; you’re bound to have a great time. This last weekend we visited some great friends while going on an adventure to visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Check out this week’s video to see how we left no trace while canoe camping near a gorgeous wildlife refuge.
The first step to any successful trip is to plan it out. Taking each of the seven principles into account, we were prepared for the entirety of our trip. Check out the outline below to see how Leave No Trace applies to canoe camping.
Plan Ahead and Prepare:
- Check the website for the area you are visiting to understand rules and regulations.
- Call ahead to arrange necessary permits.
- Check the weather reports and tide charts.
- Gear lists are a great way to make sure you bring everything necessary.
Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces:
- Water is a durable surface, have fun on that paddle!
- Set up camp on durable surfaces like sand.
- Focus your activity to the beach to avoid harming sensitive sand dunes.
Dispose of Waste Properly:
- The best option for camping on an island for our #2 is to pack it out.
- Use a WAG bag system to pack out all human and even pet waste.
- While finding a secluded “facili-tree” avoid stepping on plants and dunes.
Leave What You Find:
- Sand dollars, shells, and artifacts are amazing to find. Leave them for others to explore.
- Wash inside and outside your boat to prevent invasive species from being spread.
- Keep your distance from wildlife.
- Use binoculars or a camera for a close up view.
- When bringing a pet, keep them on a leash to avoid negative interactions with wildlife.
Be Considerate of Other Visitors:
- Let nature’s sounds prevail.
- If you are looking for peace and solitude, consider visiting the area during off-peak times.
Have fun on your trip, that’s what it’s all about!
Steph and Andy – Subaru/Leave No Trace Traveling Trainer Team East
Leave No Trace’s Steph Whatton and Andy Mossey are part of the 2017 Subaru/Leave No Trace Traveling Trainer Program that provides free, mobile education to communities across the country. Proud partners of this program include Subaru of America, REI, Fjall Raven, ENO, Deuter, Thule, and SmartWool.
Let’s protect and enjoy our natural world together
Get the latest in Leave No Trace eNews in your inbox so you can stay informed and involved.