News & Updates
Tree-Friendly Hammocking Tip
Springfield, MO: Excited for hammocking season, but worried about the impact of your hammock's straps on the trees? Practice this simple tree-friendly tip on your next hammocking excursion to help reduce your impact.
- Collect a handful of small sticks, roughly the same in diameter, that stretch about the length of your forearm.
- Set-up your hammock.
- Place the sticks (about a hand's width apart) between the hammock's straps and the tree's bark.
- Relax and enjoy your afternoon! We suggest cuddling up with a GoSnug blanket and reading your favorite book or travel magazine.
- Replace the sticks where they were collected and check your site to ensure you Leave No Trace!
- **BONUS** step–share your epic hammocking spot! #LeaveNoTrace and #GetOutandHammock
Car camping? You can substitute the sticks with fabric swatches, small doormats, or other items that will help reduce the friction caused by the hammock's straps rubbing against the tree's bark.
See you on the trail!
Leave No Trace’s Katelyn and Blake are part of the 2016 Subaru/Leave No Trace Traveling Trainer Program that provides free, mobile education to communities across the country. Proud partners of this program include Subaru of America, Deuter, Eagle's Nest Outfitters, Smartwool, and REI.
Let’s protect and enjoy our natural world together
Get the latest in Leave No Trace eNews in your inbox so you can stay informed and involved.