Squaw Valley, California: Klean Kanteen and Leave No Trace are teaming up for an amazing music festival season this year! The folks at Klean Kanteen care a lot about sustainability throughout the outdoor recreation field as well as among festivarians. Festivals are becoming more and more of a focus for Leave No Trace since they are commonly held on public lands/municipal parks and ensuring that people minimize their impact on these lands is high priority for festival promoters. Klean Kanteen is right at home in a festival setting as they are trying to reduce the amount of single use cups/dishware that is used at any festivals.
At all of the Subaru/Leave No Trace Trainer festivals events this year Klean Kanteen will be supporting the Leave No Trace Cleanest Campsite Challenge, membership drive, and promoting sustainability to festivarians. The CCC is an effort by Leave No Trace to promote festivarians to be sustainable, clean, and creative at their festival campsites. Festivarians can have an impact on non-durable surfaces, accumulate a lot of trash and food waste, and can impact wildlife on the festival grounds. One important thing that Klean Kanteen and Leave No Trace are trying to accomplish is decreasing the amount of trash that accumulates at a festival site. Festivarians definitely enjoy cold beer at festivals and by simply using a reusable pint glass, the amount of single use cups can be decreased dramatically.
Take Klean Kanteen’s pledge and refuse single use containers for up to 30 days:
· In the US, only 27% of plastic water bottles are recycled. The other 73% are in our rivers, lakes, ocean, landfills or are incinerated.
· In the US, people throw out 200 billion paper cups and 25 billion Styrofoam cups each year.
We appreciate our partnership with Klean Kanteen and look forward to working with them at all the fun music festivals we have coming up this year.
Thanks for reading and remember to be like the Center’s mascot Bigfoot and Leave No Trace.
Pat and TJ
Leave No Trace’s Patrick and Theresa Beezley are part of the 2015 Subaru/Leave No Trace Traveling Trainer Program that provides free, mobile education to communities across the country. Proud partners of this program include Subaru of America, Hi-Cone, REI, and Smartwool.